Here at Feyin, we are all about embracing various cultures in our homes and especially in our tummies, well uh I mean in our kitchen. This recipe is first of a new foodie series called “Fused Flavors.” Fused Flavors essentially combines flavors, recipes and/or ingredients from different cultural dishes to create one mouthwatering recipe. Think Italian Olive Oil Orange Cake meets Moroccan Orange Cake and you’ve got Mediterranean Orange Cake. Both cultures share similar Mediterranean influences in their approach to cooking so I’ve combined both recipes into one (after lots of testing) to create our first recipe in the Fused series.
I must mention that this cake is extremely moist and I think that’s due to the tangy Greek yogurt in it. And the cake is great with or without the Almond Glaze but I’ve got a soft for frosting and glazes so it was must have for me. And the zest from the oranges not only add a nice orange hue to the cake but it makes for an interesting texture with lots of subtle bursts of flavor alongside the orange blossom water. This would great to take along to your next potluck gathering!
1 cup fresh orange juice (juice from 2 oranges)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange blossom water
1/3 cup Olive oil
Zest from 2 oranges
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and light grease a bundt pan. Set pan aside for later use.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine orange zest and sugar together, massage gently to release oils from orange zest.
- Add eggs, Olive oil, orange blossom water, vanilla extract, orange juice and Greek yogurt into the zest and sugar bowl and mix with a fork until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into liquid all at once and use electronic mixer to combine all the ingredients together until smooth (careful not to over mix).
- Place batter into the lightly greased pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes.
For glaze simply mix the powdered sugar, almond extract and orange blossom water together in a small bowl. Then add the tablespoon of water one teaspoon at time until mixture reaches your desired consistency. Feel to sprinkle sliced almond on the cake and serve with fresh oranges or even just orange tea. It’s a citrusy affair! Be sure to share your cake on Instagram with the hashtag #FeyinFlavors. Enjoy!